Things you will need:
- Four-pronged pitchfork
- Shavings pitchfork
- First, remove all the bigger, more obvious droppings on the surface with the shavings pitchfork. Sift the shavings through the pitchfork so all that remains is manure. Then, deposit the manure in the wheelbarrow.
- When you have done this, toss the shavings to the sides of the stall, removing any droppings that fall out of them as you do so.
- Next, scoop up the wet shavings with the shavings pitchfork.
- Now, you can sweep the floor and shovel up any remaining manure.
- If possible, leave the floor to dry and air for a while before pulling back the shavings to lay the bed. Bank up the shavings against the walls.
- If necessary, add new shavings. To open the bale, cut the tape with scissors or a special saftey barn knife that has a recessed blade.
- Use the four-pronged pitchfork to loosen them and dump them into the stall.
- Spread the shavings around to make a comfortable bed.